[PLUG] how to find out where my new SATA drive is

Dave Clemans dgc at easystreet.com
Tue Apr 20 20:38:02 UTC 2004

Kyle Hayes wrote:

> Um, I thought I read that SATA drives show up as SCSI drives under
> 2.4.  I'm not sure about 2.6, but I'm pretty sure I read this
> recently.

Technically I suppose it probably depends on the specific SATA driver.
(SATA drives typically need their own driver; they don't use the
"normal" ide driver).  If your SATA port uses the SII chipset (like
the a7n8x motherboard), you need the siimage driver loaded, and the
drives show up as /dev/hd* "ide" drives.  This is the same for 2.4
and 2.6.

There might be SATA drivers around for other chipsets that work
differently; I don't know.

dgc