[PLUG] SATA newbie question.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Apr 21 01:35:02 UTC 2004

So, I'm looking at these fancy motherboards with SATA and reading about
the benefits of the change.

Nearly everybody thinks that the cabling change is the #1 greatest thing
in the whole wide world.  That seems weird to me, but isn't really all
that important.

But the great loss as I see it is the decrease in the number of drives.
Nearly all of the layouts I've seen have just 2 SATA connectors.  What the
heck is that?  You can't exactly have a single boot drive AND a RAID array
for storage in the same system without some extra card shoved in there.

Is this temporary?  Why aren't they just lining these things up across
where the IDE interfaces used to be?  You could get like ten of those
things in that space.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin