[PLUG] Avantgo and KDE

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Wed Apr 21 10:41:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 08:22, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> >   I'll confess that I have no idea what is Avantgo.
>
> Avantgo is a conduit used to sync things like news and wepages, AFAIK.
> It's one of those Windows conduits.
>
> As far as I know, there isn't currently a way to use such things... I
> don't think you can use such conduits as the AOL ones, either, for
> instance.  jpilot doesn't, as far as I know, support them.
>
> You may have luck running the Windows sync software under Wine... I
> really don't know.
>
> It's been a few years since I've pulled out and sync'd my palm pilot.
> It is really really old.  I haven't purchased a new one for the simple
> matter of so many conduits I would wish to use require Windows.
>
> Rob

I /dev/null'd Avantgo when I got my Tapwave Zodiac (runs Palm OS 5.2).
Check out Plucker...

http://plkr.org/

    "Plucker is an offline Web and e-book viewer for Palm OS(r) based
    handheld devices and PDAs and comes with Unix, Linux Windows and Mac
    OSX tools, scripts, and conduits that let you decide exactly what
    part of the World Wide Web you'd like to download onto your PDA (as
    long as they're in standard HTML or text format). These web pages
    are then processed, compressed, and transferred to the PDA for
    viewing by the Plucker viewer.

    Plucker supports many features, including clickable images (pan and
    zoom), italic, narrow, and HiRes fonts, multiple concurrent
    databases, configurable display parameters and stylus options
    (gestures and hardware button navigation) ZLib and DOC compression,
    Perl and Python conduits and parsers, a Windows fully-integrated
    installer, and a whole lot more!"

The latest CVS snapshot of the Palm client has DIA (silk) support. There
is a very active community of open source advocates supporting this fine
project.

hth,
Sandy
--