[PLUG] UPS for Linux?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Apr 23 14:54:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Zot O'Connor wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 11:40, Steven Raymond wrote:
> > So just had the power go out here.  Nothing lost, but thought it would be
> > prudent to look for a UPS that will interface with Linux to inform the
> > machine that power is going out in 5 minutes or whatever and gracefully
> > shut down.
> > Any recommendations?
>
> I am looking for the opposite.  A UPS that linux can tell to shut down,
> and restart.
>
> I have a remote machine that is locking up.  I want to be able to shut
> power down for 5 minutes, and then power back up.  The power supplies
> have a timeout reset on them, so flicking it on and off will not
> work....
>
> Any ideas?  I would prefer not spend $600 on a remote power strip.  I am
> thinking more like 30-60 for a UPS.
>
> Its the whole, turning it back on I am grappling with.

Is there a way of doing this in the Windows world?

I would expect it would be a varient on a watchdog card or some other
hardware modification.  (Or maybe an eggtimer and a monkey.)

The only way I can see this being done is with a motherboard that
understands power on signals from a keyboard or USB device and an
attachment on the ups that is able to generate that power on signal at
some interval.

I have not heard of such a beast, but that does not mean it does not
exist.