[PLUG] UPS for Linux?

Zot O'Connor zot at whiteknighthackers.com
Mon Apr 26 11:35:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 16:43, Eric House wrote:
> From: Zot O'Connor <zot at whiteknighthackers.com>
>

> I had a similar problem, a DSL modem that goes on the blink every week
> or so and can only be fixed by power cycling (which, says Qwest, does
> not make it faulty.)  It always happens when I've just started a long
> trip.  For $9 I got a cheap mechanical timer from Radio Shack that
> I've set up to turn the thing off and on again in the wee hours of
> every morning.

Well if I could time to go when the server failed, I'd be good.

Maybe a timer with snooze that I link to a parallel line that the server
snoozes every 8.9 minutes :)

> A more sophisticated, and expensive, solution would be to get X-10
> gear and power-cycle only when there's no connection to the modem.  That
> may be the direction you want to look.

I have X10 gear running elsewhere at this location, and it is a bit
flaky.  I fear spurious X10 commands will shut off the server.  There
are lights that do that already.