[PLUG] Making a DVD as bootable

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Mon Apr 26 15:34:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 13:46, Chris Penwell wrote:
>     I have the CD ISOs for Mandrake 10.0 community. I am able to mount
> the ISOs to a directory. Here is what I want to do. I want to be able
> to burn them to a DVD and then boot from the DVD into the install.
>
>     I know how to burn on to a DVD using KDE however I'm not so naive
> as to think I can just burn the files to a DVD and expect it to work.
> Is there anything I have to do to make it (the DVD itself,) bootable?

If I understand what you want to do, you will need to mount all of the
ISO images, then copy the contents to a new directory and make a new ISO
image for the DVD size.  When you make the new ISO image, you will need
to specify the location of the boot image file from the bootable CD ISO
image.  I don't have any experience with the KDE burning tool, but I
know that gcombust will do everything but mount the ISO images.  The man
page for mkisofs has all of the details, including how to specify the
boot scheme.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree