[PLUG] Re: (M$) CommView-like setup for console

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Apr 27 12:30:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Keith Morse wrote:

> Also one could get a summary of the captured packets file by using it with
> ntop.

Tried yesterday but couldn't get to the site.  I'll try again today.  I
want better monitoring than waiting for problem reports and then starting
up some lame-ass Windows program and click and click and click until it's
found.

A thanks to all for the suggestions.  I haven't got ethereal -- or any
other monitoring software -- up and running the way I want it/them to but
we did find the problem site.  Some computer at a university in Romania
was doing a flood of scans against port 80 (DOS).  Turns out the Tech
Manager got it _late_ last night, blocked it in the router, then fell
asleep on the keyboard and didn't save the settings.  I refound it this
AM using netwatch and we discovered the missing save.  FWIW the offending
system is med.pub.ro at 141.85.0.71.

Again thanks to all for the suggestions.

Rod