[PLUG] Re: The well-scheduled man

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Tue Apr 27 19:19:01 UTC 2004

Jeme A Brelin wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>

>>When I print a new one, the old one goes into a file.  I have a foot
>>thick stack of old papers live in a filing cabinet.  Good place to look
>>for old phone numbers, etc.  This is the real value of the paper system,
>>as most PIM software doesn't keep old snapshots, and just accumulates
>>data forever. Too much data makes important data less valuable.
>>

>Sounds like you could use cvs.  I'd hate to vgrep a foot-tall stack of
>dead trees.
>
>J.

Some stuff should be on paper though digital paper might not be a bad idea.

If you compress your paper down and recycle the savings, how many trees
are you really killing?  Before accusing anyone of being a tree killer
because they
use paper, consider the resources involved in using any sort of digital
substitute.

How much environmental impact is there from producing the double A,
triple A, etc. batteries that a palm pilot needs?  How much mercury and
other toxins will your palm pilot put into the environment over it's
lifetime?  Paper may actually be better for the environment than your
palm, course this can be weighed based on how much paper you're
going to use.  Arguably, different methods produce different results and
differing amounts of pollution.  Who knows, someone may invent a
nontoxic portable power source for the palm.

     --  Michael Robinson