[PLUG] Linux Wifi Clinic: Senao PCMCIA cards (2)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Apr 28 23:28:01 UTC 2004

Keith wrote:
> The Senao card I have *looks* like a standard 16 bit PCMCIA card;  it
> doesn't have the funny ground strip that I see on 32 bit cardbus cards.
> Check other sources, but I believe this ought to work with older machines.

Earlier I suggested looking at the FCC website for info;  I was too
lazy to take my own advice.  For the Senao card, the PDF manual is at

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=262871&native_or_pdf=pdf

... which states on page 1: "The PC card is a standard PC card that fits
into any PCMCIA Type II slot."

Thus, it ought to work with older laptops.  These cards are 11MBPS maximum
rate, typically a lot slower for data in actual practice.   The 54MBPS
802.11g cards are typically 32 bit cardbus.

Again, before buying a card get the FCC ID if you can, and look it up
on the FCC website.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993