[PLUG] Odd network behaviour

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Thu Apr 29 00:13:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 14:06, Mel Andres wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 13:21, Bill Spears wrote:
> > First sign of trouble.  This morning my browser did not work. I could
> > still ping other end of my DSL WAN, but not easystreet nameserver.
> > Figured it was an easystreet problem and went to work. Came back this
> > afternoon figuring it would be fixed.  Wrong.  Called easystreet and had
> > same problems, but now could ping nameserver(as dot quad).  Still
> > couldn't ping by name. Began worrying that it might be my computer,
> > tried Windows computer and it worked.  Yikes!
> >
> > Second sign of trouble.  Rebooted and the boot process hung at 'bringing
> > up eth0' Yikes^2! It came up with no interface(as shown by ifconfig). I
> > looked at modules.conf and saw that it has a motherboard nic. Began
> > wondering about MB.
> >
> > Third sign of trouble.  I rebooted again.  eth0 came up and everything
> > seems to work.
> >
> > I can't figure out what problem fits this fact pattern.
> > Is my MB going?
> > Could it be memory, disk?
>
>   It might be worthwhile to check the ethernet cable to ensure it's not
> intermittent. Otherwise I would place my bets on the on-board nic
> starting to get flaky. Is it a manufactured system, or a DIY? Ever been
> in a shop for repair? I ask because flaky problems are often caused by
> ESD damage.

Also, check for bad capacitors (the ones that are bulging on top and
possibly oozing), they can cause the same sort of symptoms, too.

Don't forget MemTest, 100 clean passes would give you some confidence
anyway.

You don't have to toss the board, if only NIC portion is bad, it has PCI
or PCMCIA slots, doesn't it?

Good Luck,

Derek Loree