[PLUG] attention geometry geeks

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Apr 29 01:51:01 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> writes:

Russell> For a cross-section of the planar case, see:

Russell>    <http://www.aracnet.com/~seniorr/indented-plane.png>

Russell> In region III, the computation is easy, just the distance to
Russell> the inside of the sphere, which is the distance PQ (remember,
Russell> P is the arbitrary point, not shown in the figure) minus the
Russell> radius of the sphere, r.  In regions I and II, the nearest
Russell> distance is to points R or S, respectively.

Oops.  I was right so far, ...

Russell> Above and to either side of those regions, the nearest
Russell> distance is the same as to the unindented surface.

... and "either side" is okay, but "above" part is incorrect.  Above
regions I and II, the nearest distance is to points R or S,
respectively.  The vertical lines in my figure should extend upwards
indefinitely.  And, obviously, there is symmetry so regions I and II
are equivalent.

seniorr at aracnet.com