[PLUG] rc.hotplug question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 30 19:34:02 UTC 2004

  On my Sony Vaio 505b with Slackware-9.1 there is a file named
/etc/rc.d/rc.hotplug with permissions 644. Thinking this might be related to
my problems getting my WiFi card to work, I changed permissions to 755 and
rebooted.

  Hoo-ha! What a mess. Dozens of messages about modules not being found,
unable to load and other saddening things. But, lsmod showed all the
expected modules loaded. WiFi card still wasn't recognized. Yesterday, I
chmod 644 /etc/rc.d/rc.hotplug and the boot-time messages (in
/var/log/syslog) went away.

  Could one of you experts please explain this behavior to me? I would have
thought that the resource file would have to be executable -- just like the
/etc/rc.d/rc.* neighbors -- in order to have hotplug capabilities.
Apparently not.

Just curious,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)