[PLUG] OT: Hardware question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Aug 1 11:33:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, Wil Cooley wrote:

> Floppy cable connected backwards?  Perhaps on the mobo?

  Just to close off this thread with a nice ribbon and bow, the misconnected
end was on the drive. Over the past two decades, it seems to me, pin 1 on
floppy and hard drives were always toward the outside; the edge with the
power connector.

  Well, closer inspection of the new drive revealed 1) the connector has a
notch on both top and bottom and 2) the power socket is in the middle, not
the outer edge. Pin 1 is still adjacent to the power socket. But, in my rush
to reassemble the box with a new power supply last weekend, I put the
striped edge of the data cable to the outside. With the socket notch on top
it slid right in.

  Reversing that end (the mobo end has a notch on only one side and that was
properly seated) fixed the problem.

  Double notches, imagine! Sheesh!

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President