[PLUG] Firefox-0.9.2 installation problems

John Meissen john at meissen.org
Sun Aug 1 13:14:02 UTC 2004

Rich Shepard said:
>   I cannot install as root because: if I 'su' or 'su -', the installer cannot
> open the already open X display and will not use the existing one

<sigh> so many complicated solutions. Why not just run 'xhost -' to
disable X authentication temporarily, run your installer as root, then
run 'xhost +' to re-enable it?

I haven't tried installing firefox myself, so I'm curious... are you
saying the installer won't work in a text console, and has to have
a working X display?