[PLUG] [Q] sshd restrict IP

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Mon Aug 2 14:14:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Matt Alexander wrote:

> First off, run SSH on a non-standard port, like maybe 20022 or
> something.  Just change the line that starts with "Port" in your
> sshd_config file.  That will stop most of the automated scripts.

Yes it should.  Since I'm forced into using PuTTY on a Windows system at
work I'll see if it works with high range ports.

> Next, you can restrict SSH access to certain user names and IP
> addresses with this line:

> AllowUsers roderick at 1.2.3.4

Works well.  The down side is it still answers the door and asks for a
password. (ssh roderick at myhost.mydomain.com).  Of course this means a
Rumpelstiltskin attack is more difficult.

Rod