[PLUG] Hate to bother everyone, but I'm in a laptop bind...

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Mon Aug 2 15:23:02 UTC 2004

I looked at the iBook at CompUSA out at Jantzen beach and I
have to say despite it not being a PC that it would probably
fit me better than my Inspiron 5100 Dell.  It's only six months
old.  I got it to run maple, Redhat version.  Why use Linux?
The XP version of maple locks up frequently.  That and the
fact that I'd rather program in a Unix environment than a
Windows one.  I haven't actually tried the XP version of
maple on this Dell.

How can I sell this machine for anything if I can't transfer
the license?  One outfit suggested that I put it to factory
default so that I can get any hardware problems fixed.  I
doubt it has any hardware problems.  How am I supposed to
put it to factory settings though?  I'd imagine that a
Dell certified shop can do that.

I emailed Dell customer support with the problem, but I get
the sense that I'm probably going to be on my own here.

It's an Inspiron 5100

    The          service tag is: 3WWPL41
    The Express Service Code is: 8520206113

I tried to use the service tag, make, and model to get
hardware information.  The modem wasn't included in the
information I found, though I don't need to support it.
The information wasn't very good though.  It looks like
ATI made a custom video card for it.

If anyone wants to look at the information in hopes of
coming up with good compatibility advice I think you
can go to Dell.com.  You probably have to have my
login though.

Is there a Linux on Dell business in the Portland area
that can do professional installation work?

     --  Michael Robinson