[PLUG] Hate to bother everyone, but I'm in a laptop bind...

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Mon Aug 2 22:11:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 21:35, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 03:21:33PM -0700, Darkhorse wrote:
> <much snipped>
>
> > Is there a Linux on Dell business in the Portland area
> > that can do professional installation work?
>
> Sure, there are consultants.  There are also folks who do it for free,
> like at the Linux Clinics.  No Dell-specific ones that I'm aware of, but
> Dells are pretty common and *mostly* easy to support.
>
> You seemed to be implying a lot more questions with all that verbiage
> and info.  If so, please check all that apply:
>
> [] How do I get Red Hat Linux running reliably on my Inspiron 5100?
>
> [] If I decide to give up on the thing and sell it, is there a way to
>    return it to its original condition as shipped from Dell?
>
> [] Is there a way to transfer the (Maple?) license to someone else?
>    (Note: this can best be answered by the vendor, not the PLUG list.)

To clarify, I would need to transfer the licenses on the software
bundled with the Dell.  I bought the Maple from school under a student
purchase plan unafilliated with Dell.

> [] How can I get better assistance from Dell Support?

Now that is a good question ;-)

> [] Is there another distro that'll run Maple and work better on my Dell?

I put gentoo on there, but I'm at a loss getting the graphical part of
the Maple software working.  I've run into some gotchas with sound too.
Sound working would be nice, but if it doesn't crash the machine
I can at least deal with that.

> [] Should I replace it with an iBook?

Probably, but that's the expensive route and a pipe dream in the
immediate future.

> [] Can I make the video work in X?

Indeed.  I have heard, "run it in VESA mode and use the CPU power."

> [] What hardware/features in the laptop should work OK in Linux?

Couldn't have said it better.