[PLUG] 'about.config' in Firefox

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 4 07:25:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Russ Johnson wrote:

> Is there a process with that pid?

Russ,

  No, there is not.

> Is the binary called thttpd? (grasping...)

  Yes.

> Yup, that's the problem with using .pid files. The startup script
> "succeeds", starts the process, and writes the .pid file, then the process
> dies.

  A reply to my message on the thttpd mail list suggested that I invokd the
daemon directly (/usr/sbin/thttpd) rather than through the init scripts.
Well, ... that works! Process 7099 is now happily sitting there, suspended,
with the fully-qualified path shown in the list. Of course,
/var/run/thttpd.pid has the wrong value, but I've no idea what that file
does in the grand scheme of things anyway.

> That sounds like your process is running, or something else is answering
> on port 8000.
>
> Can you telnet to port 8000? Do you get any response when you do? Press
> enter a few times...

  Yes, I can. Here:

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ telnet localhost 8000
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.

HTTP/1.0 400 Invalid header received from browser

Connection closed by foreign host.

The last two lines occurred after I pressed [Enter].

> When you think the process has died, does the netstat command still show
> something listening on port 8000?

  Yes.

> If so, do you have any proxies running?

  Squid.

  Just now, with the process running I tried (from within firefox)
'http://localhost:8000/sql-ledger/admin.pl' and I get a blank page with
'done' in the status bar.

Many thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President