[PLUG] Setting up dual boot with linux/NTFS.

Jon LeVitre jonlevitre at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 12:50:03 UTC 2004

I have a desktop system with XP home installed.  I want to install the
20 gig hard drive from my old system in it and install Fedora and/or
SuSE on it.

I'm trying to decide which drive should be the master and which should
be the slave.

If I leave the current NTFS drive as master, is there ANY chance that
grub will mess up the drive?  I'd rather not have to reinstall/restore
all my stuff (and more importantly, my wife's stuff).

If I make the Linux drive the master, I'll have to take the NTFS drive
out and change the jumpers and I assume it will boot up slower.

Also, does anybody have advice for setting up partitions?  Are there
any guidelines for how big to make /, /bin, /var, /opt, etal.?