[PLUG] Setting up dual boot with linux/NTFS.

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 14:43:02 UTC 2004

--- Jason Crowder <jason at crowderfamily.net> wrote:

> > Jon LeVitre wrote:
> >
> >>If I leave the current NTFS drive as master, is
> there ANY chance that
> >>grub will mess up the drive?  I'd rather not have
> to reinstall/restore
> >>all my stuff (and more importantly, my wife's
> stuff).
> >>

> Windows doesn't like it if it doesn't control the
> MBR.  Especially XP.

Mandrake 10's LILO will not interfere with the
operation of XP, though I do not know about the
performance of other distros. If Linux overwrites the
MBR and XP doesn't boot, fixmbr will probably restore
its operation, though some other method will have to
be used to boot Linux. I've heard, however, that some
OS' modify the partition table in such a way that
fixmbr will not restore XP's functioning.

"Mandrakeworks" on Ebay is offering Mandrake 10
Powerpack DVD's with a coffee cup for about $40,
including shipping to the Western US. It comes with a
month of support, and I didn't get the last one
offered.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/