[PLUG] [OT] JetDirect cards

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Thu Aug 5 13:37:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Anyone here have experience and comments on using the HP JetDirect (or
> equivalent) cards to connect printers via ethernet rather than a parallel
> cable? I'm wondering if it would be a reasonable thing to do with the HP
> LaserJet 5 and Professional Series 2500C I have.

Rich,

I got a Print Server from CyberGuys (http://cyberguys.com/) that does
three parallel ports.  The down side is it is _very_ Windows setup
oriented.  I kind of made my life tougher when I bought it then didn't get
around to installing for several months.  I did cave and installed/set it
up from my wife's Win2K system instead of messing around with the
manufacturer's support.  But once I got it set up it was pretty easy to
get my Linux desktop to talk to it using CUPS.

The upside to the print server verses a manufacturer specific card is I
can hook up any make/model printer that has parallel port.

Cost is(/was) $130(/120) +SH.

Rod