[PLUG] [OT] JetDirect cards

HarrY techmage at aracnet.com
Thu Aug 5 16:37:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:06:54 -0700, you wrote:

>I like JetDirect personally.  I would definitely recommend doing this if
>you got the cash.
>
>On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 11:41, Rich Shepard wrote:
>>   Anyone here have experience and comments on using the HP JetDirect (or
>> equivalent) cards to connect printers via ethernet rather than a parallel
>> cable? I'm wondering if it would be a reasonable thing to do with the HP
>> LaserJet 5 and Professional Series 2500C I have.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Rich
Rich,
I'm using a jet card in my HP1600cn and it works fine.
However,
The cost of the cards is high. For the cost of one card, you can buy a
multi parallel port print server and run several printers off one
print server.
I paid just under $100 for my last jet card and under $75 for my
Linksys Print server. it's a 2 port/switched print server. It has 2
parallel ports and 4 ethernet ports.
IIRC I paid something like $55 for the print server and was given a
DSL router to go with it.

Harry

Dont immanentize the eschaton