[PLUG] Slackware-10.0 Upgrade Questions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 6 06:57:04 UTC 2004

  Well, well, well. The upgrade from Slackware-9.1 to -10.0 is proving to be
much different than the upgrade from -8.1 to -9.0 was. I _thought_ I
followed each and every step in UPGRADE.TXT, but now neither networking nor
X works.

  Networking: I notice that interface information that used to be in
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 is now in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf. So, I put in the host
IP address, netmask and default gateway. Run '/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 eth0 start'
and check ifconfig. Only loopback is up. What have I missed here?

  X: I missed the noise about changing from XFree86 to XOrg. Apparently
_very_ big changes. I no longer have an xinit file so Xfce-4.0.5 won't fire
up. I've asked for pointers from the xfce mail list but if anyone here has
good advice, please let me know.

  There may be more later, but I need to fix these two before I can move on.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>