[PLUG] IPv6

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Fri Aug 6 16:53:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 15:30, Mike Neal wrote:

> >Studying the OSI reference model and the TCP/IP model, it seems that the
> >hardware that does ipv4 can do ipv6 too.  Is this true?
>
> Hi,
>
> Would that be IPv4 and IPv6 at the OSI network layer and hardware at the
> OSI physical layer?

Yes of course.  Thing that's curious though is
that doing IPv6 over IPv4 apparently requires
using more bandwidth to send out the longer
addresses.  Isn't 32 million possibilities
enough?  Why does the whole world need to
be fit into one IP space anyways?

Should DNS servers be upgraded to report ipv4
addresses in ipv6 format, or do most of them
convert on the fly already?

I wonder if the physical nic hardware has to
have a big enough buffer to send out ipv6
packets.  I guess if the MAC addresses haven't
changed, maybe not.  I'd imagine that those
have been lengthened too though.  I imagine
a 128 bit address space requires a very large
routing table.

How much in TCP/IP networking does the
arp traffic cost?  How about IPV6's router
discovery protocol?  Is the speed of a nic
the gross speed or the net speed?

     --  Michael Robinson