[PLUG] Let the cache, but not the box hosting that cache...

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Sat Aug 7 17:26:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 04:54:37PM -0700, Darkhorse wrote:
> An ISP that
> filters out illegal and indecent materials is not doing me
> a disservice at all.

May we suggest AOL?  They're mighty proud of their content  blocking services.

> Why do people get in legal trouble for their web activities while
> their ISP isn't responsible for allowing them to go wherever they
> please?

For the same reason the US Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, Qwest and every
other common carrier isn't responsible for what people send through
their services.  Their role is to provide transport/access.

> What kind of society says that the person with an Internet
> account who abuses it goes to jail without his/her ISP sharing any
> of the legal responsibility?

The kind that says that if a person uses a Ford automobile to commit a crime
no one at Ford Motor Company is liable for that action.  The that says
individuals are reponsible for their actions.

--
    Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity