[PLUG] system monitoring tool

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Aug 9 18:27:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 17:38, Morthland, Cam wrote:
> This is pretty timely for me as I have spent MANY hours recently setting
> up Nagios to monitor my environment (mostly MS/Compaq-HP/Cisco).
>
> The problem I am running into is that to really utilize Nagios, it seems
> you have to know a LOT about SNMP and MIB's so that you can perform
> checks using check_snmp.

No, that's right.  Nagios really excells as UNIX host and service
monitor and basic network monitor.  Add-ons, as you've found, make it
useful in NT/Wk2 (and maybe Netware too).  Really detailed monitoring of
network devices like routers and switches is really not it's forte.

If you want to monitor network devices, you can either use SNMP as
you've done or write scripts that telnet to their management interfaces
and get data that way.  If you want to handle SNMP traps, I recommend
'snmptt' to handle the traps; there's even an example of hooking it into
Nagios's notification system.

> Am I missing the boat somehere?  I just haven't found a lot of examples
> on the web for "stock" configs to monitor Cisco devices.  Nor have I
> found out how to implement the Cisco MIBs into the Nagios environment.
> I have installed nrpe_nt and that seems like it will do what I want it
> to for my Win environment.

Put your Cisco MIBs in /usr/share/snmp/mibs (or something like that) and
Do an snmpwalk over the 'enterprises' branch and use '-m ALL' to tell
snmpwalk to load all of the MIBs.

> Is there anyone out here that has some good Cisco configs that is
> willing to share?

I don't really have any Ciscos any more (other than a couple lab boxes),
but I have used Cricket to track system temperature, memory and CPU
utilization, etc.--it would be pretty straightforward to use check_snmp
to monitor thresholds for these parameters.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc