[PLUG] Burned images on CD/DVD end up zero-padded

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Tue Aug 10 09:20:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001-at-sneakemail.com |PDX Linux| wrote:

> I've come up with several workarounds, but none are ideal.
>   + build UDF filesystem images and copy the files there before
>     burning.  (additional copy of each 4GB of data required, UDF
>     has problems with files >2GB, restore slower since each volume
>     must be mounted before it can be used)

> Anyone have a way to write variable length data to a DVD with the EOF in
> the right place?

It doesn't look like this is possible, so I settled on splitting the
backups into files that fit 3 per DVD, avoiding the 2GB ISO file size
limit.  I avoid the Linux-UDF problems by using a straight ISO9660
filesystem.

Unfortunately this does mean that I'll be doing the mount shuffle during a
restore rather than just simple media swaps.

Another option is to skip compression, since that seems to result in an
image that breaks consistently on 2048-byte boundaries if I choose an even
number in the -B option for dump.  However, I can see this failing
silently should something odd happen, and it also uses significantly more
media.  It does offer the benefit that damaged media will be simpler to
recover since the whole compressed data stream won't be hosed by one bad
sector.

  -- Steve