[PLUG] RE: system monitoring tool

Daggett, Steve Steve.Daggett at fiserv.com
Tue Aug 10 13:56:02 UTC 2004

Keith Morse wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Daggett, Steve wrote:
> >   I don't use the Cisco tool much.  I generally just find
> > the OID's I
> > want from doing "snmpwalk" commands and reading the MIBs.
>
> don't suppose you've ever had the need to snmp Orinoco
> equipment?  I've been trying to find OID's for signal
> strenth, noise, and SNR for OR-1000 or AP-1000 devices.

  Nope... I don't use any Orinoco gear.  Lucent's color glossy says that the
AP-1000 is a SNMPV2 device.  The information you're looking for may *not* be
available via SNMP.  The SNMP MIBs always seem to be a couple of years
behind the operational software.

>From the Proxima Support Site:

Question
Which MIB's are supported by ORiNOCO Access Point and Outdoor Router?

Answer
The AP-Manager is delivered with MIB files.
Below the three supported RFC MIB are listed with their SNMP root branch
values:
RFC1213.MIB: MIB-IIn = 1.3.6.1.2.1 = mib
RFC1398.MIB: Ethernet MIB = 1.3.6.1.2.1.10.7 = transmission.7
RFC1493.MIB: Bridge MIB = 1.3.6.1.2.1.17 = mib.17

  These are only the standard SNMPV2 MIBs.  They don't contain any wireless
information.

Do the following command on the devices:
snmpwalk -v2c -c <community> <IP address> system

You should be able to dump the System Table from the device if SNMP is setup
correctly.

Then:
snmpwalk -v2c -c <community> <IP address> . | tee ./Orinoco_walk.txt

  This will dump every SNMP table from the device.  You should be able to
pick out the radio stats from the raw data, if they exist.

  The snmpwalk command will normally output SNMP OID's in decimal format.
You can also follow Wil's instructions to install any proprietary AP-1000
MIB onto your system.  Then snmpwalk command will output the text name for
the OID's.

Steve D...