[PLUG] LDAP help

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Aug 10 15:33:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, R. Haack wrote:

> I'm having some problems with getting my LDAP server going.  I'm running
> Fedora Core 2 and I've done all of the udpates.  The server seems to start
> and run just fine, but the problem comes when I attempt to convert users.
> I've run ldappasswd to get an encrypted password which I then pasted into my
> slapd.conf file.  The problem comes when I attempt to convert users.  I'm
> issuing the following command:
>
> ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=k12,dc=or,dc=us" -W -f nclack.ldif
>
> When it asks me for the password I get the following error message:
>
> ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)
>
> Can anybody tell me what is going on and how to resolve this issue?

Assuming you typed the ldapadd invocation correctly above, you're
using the wrong binddn (-D), because in your config file the root
account has a different dn:

   rootdn          "uid=Manager,cn=users,dc=k12,dc=or,dc=us"

Try instead

   ldapadd -D "uid=Manager,cn=users,dc=k12,dc=or,dc=us" [...]

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>