[PLUG] SciLab, Octave and friends

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 12 05:57:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Douglas Howard wrote:

> I'll recommend SciLab having used it a little.
> It's aimed at Matlab users, which is popular in university engineering
> and physics courses. There are also Matlab to SciLab conversion utilities.
> SciLab is maintained actively, has good documentation and has few bugs.

  Thank you very much, Douglas. I'll researh them all. This past weekend I
learned from the folks on the octave-help mail list (most of whom do very
sophisticated math) how to calculate the principal engenvalue and associated
eigenvector in a 4-line octave program. It does require intimate familiarity
with the language to understand how to structure the code to arrive at the
desired results.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>