[PLUG] Am I toast?

Jon LeVitre jonlevitre at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 10:11:02 UTC 2004

In the process of installing Fedora on one hard drive of my computer,
something went wrong with the Windows XP installation on a second
drive.

XP now hangs while it's booting.  When I boot XP in safe mode, it lists
about 30 files and stops after \Windows\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys (no, I
don't expect this to be meaingful to anybody, but I'm desperate).

If I boot from my Norton Anti-Virus CD, it scans the hard disk (and all
it's files) without finding any problems.

The drive also looks OK if I boot Knoppix.

My Windows recovery disk wants to wipe everything out (which I'll
consider as a last resort).

Does anybody have suggestions for fixing the problem?  (no jokes
pleeze)

Barring that, does anybody have any suggestions for getting the latest
files off the XP partition?  If I boot from a Knoppix CD, is there any
way to eject the CD and use the CD drive for backing up?  How?

I don't have other PCs at home to network to, and I don't have a floppy
drive, but I do have a 128mb SanDisk USB thingy.