[PLUG] Win XP problems, Knoppix Root

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Aug 14 08:59:02 UTC 2004

Alan writes:
> This is a known problem, This might help.  (Or at least know how screwed
> you are...)
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html

I second this.  Fedora Core 2 is untested, alpha-level research
technology, and has no business running on a production machine.
Fedora Core 2 is being directed by arrogant assholes who can't be
bothered to warn folks like you that their "distro" eats babies.

Use the information in the above weblink (Read it!  Don't ask us!)
to recover your data, then strip FC2 and use a distro designed for
average users.  SUSE, Xandros, or Mandrake if you want some paid
handholding, Fedora Core 1 or WhiteBox if you want free and Redhat
capability, Debian if you want free and help from most of us.  Others
will suggest other distros, but they should do so understanding that
you want help and their suggestion comes with some obligation to do so.

And lastly, to get at root in Knoppix, just type "su root" and then
carriage return when it asks for a password.  The Knoppix root
password is blank.  Just make sure you know what you are doing; if
your XP data is a little scrambled by FC2 now, it can get far worse.
If your data is valuable to you, then hire somebody with real FC2
experience (like Alan) to recover it for you.

<Flame>
I'm sorry you had to learn about FC2 the hard way.  It is a pity
that some portion of the Linux development process, Fedora in
particular, has been taken over by user-haters.  How else to
explain that they won't update their release, or even put warnings
on the Fedora splash page.  Back when responsible people developed
Unix, you were expected to put a BUGs section in your documentation.

Fedora Core 2 - making Microsoft look good!
</Flame>

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993