[PLUG] Laptop recomendations

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Aug 16 14:43:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Elliott Mitchell wrote:

> > Any other comments? Ideas? Rants?
>
> The propietary issues might be too much for you, but thought about Apple
> hardware?

  And now that folks have dissected the video chips and drivers I'll chirp
up and suggest contacting one of the companies that specialize in selling
portables with linux pre-installed and working. As I've written before, the
folks at Emperor Linux make sure everything works, provide outstanding
support and will install the distribution of your choice. Let them do the
research, worrying and tweaks to make everything work.

  They sell an IBM ThinkPad model that won Linux Journal's Product of the
Year for the category of portable machines; it's the one Doc Searls hauls
all over the country and he sang the praises of both the hardware and
Emperor Linux.

  There are other such companies advertising in LJ but I have experience
only with Emperor Linux. Very highly recommended.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>