[PLUG] Laptop recomendations

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Mon Aug 16 20:43:02 UTC 2004

>From: alan <alan at clueserver.org>
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> > Avoid any system with an Intel graphics chip. They're neither providing
> > enough information to support Linux, nor helping with any sort of driver.
> > There is a driver for X that sort of works, but there isn't enough
> > information available to make it work well. Notably the driver cannot
> > directly change resolutions and often the BIOSes don't have data on the
> > resolution of the screen, resulting in really nasty hacks to get laptop
> > screens to work well.
>
> They have drivers, they are just not easy to get at.  (You have to search
> on their web site or just luck out.)  They are supposed to be supported as
> an extension to the i810 driver.  My concern is that every Intel graphics
> chipset i have dealt with has been dirt slow.

http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@xfree86.org/msg06409.html

That thread is a pretty strong recommendation against using Intel
graphics hardware.

Dunno about their speed though. They're not aiming to take the hardcore
market, but they are fast enough for the generic people. I'd expect
reasonable though not great 2D speed, otherwise they'd have even less of
the market then they do. Forget about 3D and the higher-level graphics
processing (MPEG/Xv) on Intel.

> > > Any other comments? Ideas? Rants?
> >
> > The propietary issues might be too much for you, but thought about Apple
> > hardware?
>
> I don't want to deal with the endianess issues.

Isn't that an argument for Apple? Host-byte order being network-byte
order...   :-)