[PLUG] HUD/RD Software

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Aug 17 17:08:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Aaron Burt wrote:

> > What does this software *do*, exactly?  It may be fairly easy to
> > replicate the functionality of it ... depending on what it does.

Here is her message to me.

===
The software requirements are specific for the program that the apartment
complex is goverened under. As you know dealing with the government
nothing is the same and each housing program has just a little different
requirement. It must be able to certify households for income standards,
expense items (when allowed) and household members qualifications.

Some of the government housing program names are HUD Section 8 and Section
202, Tax Credit, Home Program, Rural Development 515 - Family and Elderly.

I am aware of a software company called Yardi Systems in the Dallas area
that produces and supports the software for these programs.  However, our
initial research shows that they are very expensive and I prefer a package
that will support multiple properties and multiple housing programs.

My understanding is that Rural Development will be coming out with a new
handbook after the election which will possible have an impact on the
software requirements---When HUD had a handbook change in June of 2003,
there was a impact on the software providers at that time.
===

> And if nonprofits use it, there may be grant money to get it written.

Well this company is for profit.  They manage the properties.

> That said, most DOS-based software runs really nicely in emulation.
> A "don't be dissin' tha DOS" B

Well this suffers from too much DOS or possibly poor programming tools.
I've dealt with a lot of these DOS programs before and they may work great
but any thing goes wrong or needs to be changed you're in deep stuff.

So for now I'll wait and do some more research and look at the program
more indepth.

Rod