[PLUG] Resolver going to DNS for private IP reverse lookups, flagrantly ignoring /etc/hosts?

Randall Lucas rlucas at tercent.com
Wed Aug 18 10:55:03 UTC 2004

Thanks for the previous replies on this issue.

wu-ftpd seemed to be intractably using DNS for reverse lookups, ignoring
hosts.  I think this problem was covered up before because my upstream
DNS provider was quickly failing on the private IP reverse lookup, but
must have changed their config so that ~ 10% or so of the time it slowly
fails.

My workaround was to install vsftpd in standalone (listen=YES) mode,
which seemed to solve the problem.  I don't know if vsftpd just doesn't
bother with reverse lookup, or if it uses /etc/hosts, but either way,
FTP once again answers speedily.

Regards,

Randall