[PLUG] HUD/RD Software

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 18 11:13:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, AthlonRob wrote:

> So, does the software go out and certify the houses in person?  Does it
> just list requirements for certification?  Does it cryptographically
> sign a picture of the house?

Rob,

  It not only lists the certification requirements but it lists the renters
and the documentation that they presented (and the company verified) that
qualifies them for the program. So the management company can quickly
produce a report of who lives where, under which program(s) they qualified
and how they proved they are OK. Also, how many people/families produce a
certain proof document would be of interest to the government.

  This is a database application. Could probably be associated with
SQL-Ledger, too, to show who's paid rent on time, who's late and so on.

> > Some of the government housing program names are HUD Section 8 and Section
> > 202, Tax Credit, Home Program, Rural Development 515 - Family and Elderly.
>
> Which means nothing to most everybody.

  But, if you were interested in helping them you'd have references to learn
more via the Web.

> I would have to say the odds are pretty low you'll find anything out
> there to do what you want if you never list exactly what it is you
> want.  :-)

  She did list it, Rob.

> Ah, so the whole point is pretty much moot right now, anyway?

  No. If the application is properly written then any rule changes are
incorporated as a new relation. Current renters can be re-qualified under
the new requirements and new ones will be qualified only under the current
ones. A query can reveal a renter's history as well as the management
company's compliance with all regulations so they get paid on time by HUD.

> I think the odds are pretty darned low of finding an OSS developer who
> would write such specialized software for a for-profit company for free.

  Sure. How about for pay? It looks to me like the manangement company has a
great need and is in a lot of pain. A competent provider not only has this
one job but continuing work keeping the software current as regulations and
reporting requirements change. The advantages to the management company are
that they don't pay for the software, just the skill and effort of the
developer and they don't have a trap if the developer decides to go off and
windsurf or something else for a living. Other qualified developers can step
right in and take it over.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>