[PLUG] KDE versus "window managers"

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Aug 19 17:09:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 16:46 -0700, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> Enlightenment is
> lightweight yet full-featured and pretty.

FWIW, I switched from OpenBox to Enlightenment for a more useful pager
and more eye candy.  I found it was so slow with more than a few windows
open it became nearly unusable.  When you find yourself getting pissed
off at your computer because it won't switch desktops fast enough,
something is wrong.

I switched from E to KDE at that point.  I killed kicker, disabled
artsd, and cleaned it up to act more like a respectable window manager.
It's damned near as fast as Openbox (but uses a lot more RAM, I'm sure)
with a much nicer pager available.  So, it's a stripped-down KDE for me,
E was just too damned slow.

Just my two cents....

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
   Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net   |    one can never be free.