[PLUG] Upgrading from Woody to Sarge

Richard C. Steffens rsteff.l at comcast.net
Thu Aug 19 17:33:01 UTC 2004

Paul Mullen wrote:

 > This looks a lot like the error I've gotten when I build a kernel with
 > initrd support, and then provide no initrd for the kernel to mount at
 > boot-time. I think if you compile a new kernel "the Debian way" (i.e.,
 > with make-kpkg), then the new initrd is created automatically.
 > Or you could just re-compile without initrd support. Hopefully someone
 > else can provide more insight...

I compiled the 2.6 kernel as follows:

make mrproper
make menuconfig
   (The only things I changed from stock was to add ext3 support, as
    recommended by my earlier mentor, and to remove MCA support, since
    I kept getting an error message when I left it in, and I'm reasonably
    certain that there is no Micro Channel Architecture on this machine!)
make install
make modules_install
lilo
reboot

So, I don't know if that is "the Debian way" or not, but I'm guessing
that somehow it isn't. What do I add, and where do I add it, to provide
initrd support? Or, what are the steps to follow to compile the kernel
"the Debian way?"

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens