[PLUG] KDE versus "window managers"

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Aug 19 20:10:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 20:01 -0700, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> Were you also running KDE apps under Enlightenment?

Nope... well... sometimes I used Kate, my only KDE love (she's just so
cute)... but otherwise, none.

> I run Enlightenment for years and even used to run the same version I'm
> running today on my old P-150 desktop system.
>
> It's snappy and lightweight.

Maybe it just doesn't like my computer.

> However, I've never run a KDE application and won't install anything that
> requires Qt.  The overhead just seems to be way too much.

KDE itself uses Qt... it's like a library ontop of Qt, almost.

KDE is Qt.  Qt isn't KDE... it isn't actually too slow by itself, IME.

> I figure you can choose one major widget set (and a few minor ones, of
> course, like Xaw, which are tiny) and stick with it.  Since I'm not going
> to have a system without the Gimp, it's GTK.

I agree... although I'm not a huge fan of the gimp - I *hate* image
editing.

> I'm sure KDE seems snappier than Enlightenment because KDE is practically
> running anyway when you're running just about any KDE application.

Nope, I don't run KDE applications except for my occasional love, Kate.
I run Evolution, Gaim, Firefox, gnome-terminal, gkrellm, bmp and the
like, not too much KDE stuff.  I'm not a huge fan of that crap.

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
   Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net   |    one can never be free.