[PLUG] Once again

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 20 07:51:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> I suspect this might be a dead battery issue -- go figure -- but was
> wondering if FC1 might have broke something on the laptop.  It just seems
> odd for it [the battery] to fail during the upgrade.

Rod,

  It's a long commute for you, but Northwest Computer Support in Beaverton
may do mail order service, too. I've had excellent work by them (except the
one time they didn't reseat the Sony's keyboard properly and I had to make
another 50-mile round trip).

  On the 1999-vintage ThinkPad 600E we have, the A/C adapter failed about a
year ago. I would not charge the battery. NCS checked it out, discovered the
reason and sold me a new brick and cord. Just a couple of months ago the
battery wheezed and died. I found a replacement for $65 by searching the
Web.

  Based on my experiences and what you report I'd look at the A/C adapter
first. If the battery was dead it would still run off the mains, unless the
Toshiba is different from my Portege (1999) on which I replaced the battery
last year and the IBM.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>