[PLUG] Upgrading from Woody to Sarge

Andrew Munkres amunk at pdx.edu
Fri Aug 20 22:01:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Paul Mullen wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 08:46:48AM -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
[snip]
> >      VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or unknown-block(3,1) Please
> >      append a correct "root=" boot option.
>
> This looks a lot like the error I've gotten when I build a kernel with
> initrd support, and then provide no initrd for the kernel to mount at
> boot-time. I think if you compile a new kernel "the Debian way" (i.e.,
> with make-kpkg), then the new initrd is created automatically.
> Or you could just re-compile without initrd support. Hopefully someone
> else can provide more insight...

One thing to check: if you're not using an initrd, you need to compile the
filesystem driver for the root filesystem into the kernel image (rather
than as a module).

BTW, is anyone here running Conectiva 10? I installed it without using the
usual installer (I don't have a CD burner or broadband), and although I
was able to create an initrd with mkinitrd, I haven't been able to get the
Conectiva kernel to use it. I'd like to see the /boot/grub/menu.lst from
one that's set up correctly.