[PLUG] SuSE and Kinternet

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Sun Aug 22 08:16:02 UTC 2004

I have installed SuSE 9.1 on a friend's system with basically no problems
but I'm running into some issues with dialup (out).  I need to see what is
happening message-wise.  Is there a debug setting I've missed or are the
messages going somewhere I can't seem to discover?

Modem dials, negociates a connection and then after a few moments (30+
seconds to 2 minutes) dials again.  In the mean time I can't seem to get a
route to the net.  I need to see the messages to and from the modem.  An
alternative is to do a connection manually to see want is going on --
modem is really working correctly etc. but I don't find minicom or a
similar type of telecom program.  Is there one?

The machine this installed on is slow!  AMD K6/2 500 with 128M RAM and an
IDE HD.  So searching or starting programs takes a _really_ long time.
I'm hoping to short circuit my work a bit with your knowledge.  Searches
using Google turn up pretty old stuff and so far nothing useful.

TIA,
Rod