[PLUG] Hey, whats a used 2GiB RAM, 8x400MHz Sun E4500 worth these days?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Aug 24 13:39:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Russell Senior wrote:

> Any idea of current values for these things, and any experience
> running Linux on them?  Considering one for a compute server.

I've had E4500s (Solaris, not Linux) at my last two jobs; they're
lovely machines, although those older UltraSPARC IIs aren't anywhere
near the fastest CPUs on the planet. My hunch is that a dual-Xeon or
perhaps even a dual-1GHz-PIII machine will outperform it for most
tasks -- and you'll spend a lot less in electricity. :-)

I'm running Gentoo on an uniprocessor UltraSPARC II at home, and have
nothing but good things to say. (I'd love to have /etc/make.conf
include the line CFLAGS="-j8 -mcpu=ultrasparc -O3 -pipe". :-)

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>