[PLUG] typical power draw for a headless, diskless PC?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Aug 24 23:27:02 UTC 2004

There is a lot of 52 last generation PC's (Pentium II and IIIs, mostly
400 MHz Pentium IIs), many of which are dual proc boxes, for sale on
EBay.  I am considering buying them to run as a 30.7 GHz compute farm
in my basement for a few months.  As part of the consideration, I need
to think about powering them.  They are headless, and I'd probably
pull the hard disks and netboot them.  How much power should I expect
one of these boxes to draw?  Keith Lofstrom?  Anybody?

If I can pull this off, I think we'd probably decommission after a few
months and give the boxes to Free Geek.

Secondly, does anyone have an empty van making a round trip to the Bay
Area in the next few weeks?

seniorr at aracnet.com