[PLUG] cross connecting telephone

Richard C. Steffens rsteff.l at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 15:31:02 UTC 2004

Russ Johnson wrote:

> I'd also like to patch the telephone through my rack. It's POTS, so just
> a single pair. What I'm having difficulty finding is something that I
> can hook that single pair to, and end up with a bunch of jacks that I
> can then route to the rooms in my house.
>
> I thought of a 66 block, but that's for 25 pair.

Have you looked at the selection of Leviton stuff at Home Depot? They
have 66 blocks, and things that are similar. I helped a friend wire his
house for phone and ether net. He ran CAT-3 for telephone, and we
terminated the data closet end on one of these Leviton boards. It's
designed to be installed as a module in a larger box, but I was able to
mount it on a piece of hardboard and fit that into a standard four-gang
(I think) electrical box. It comes with its own punch down tool, the
same one that they use for their CAT-5 jacks. Worked quite well. We put
the phone company feed on the top row, and used the remaining 9 or 11
(can't remember if it had 10 or 12 rows) for the rooms in the house. If
necessary, one could jumper one board to another to increase the capacity.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/