[PLUG] skipping spamd for unknown users - solved

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Wed Aug 25 16:42:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 03:08:44PM -0700, Wil Cooley wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 14:57 -0700, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> > luser_relay in postfix can be set to /dev/null
> > even if it's not documented.
>
> So... If I accidentally send to mikeras at patch.com I'll get no bounce and
> will just have to assume you hate me and are ignoring me?

"just have to assume?"  You can assume many other scenarios:
  I've fallen, Lassie got lost, need help
  Won the lottery and blew out of town
  Bicycling is life, all else is a distraction
  My email system is so buried in spam that I didn't get your message
  The last batch of beer was really, really good and I'm still having fun

or you *can* assume that I hate you or you're one of the two people on
my blackhole list.

   in other words
Yep.  If that's the way your assumtions run.  I'm a bastard. :)

Even for the small collection of domains that I manage the dumpme
address was averaging over 30,000 emails a day.  I suppose it would be
reasonable to upgrade my dns/web/mail/database/time/whatever server
from the 300mhz box it's running on.  FWIW I'm processing ~40,000 messages
daily including the dumpme stuff.  Which is to say 10,000 of actual mail
in one form or another.  The counts are for the last three months and come
from pflogsumm.

--
    Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity