[PLUG] Dell Axim X30

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Wed Aug 25 16:57:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 10:03 -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Athlon Rob writes:
> >  Have any of y'all tried the Axim X30?  If so, how'd you like it?
>
> Paint me prejudiced, but I would buy nothing from Dell unless I
> wanted something unwarrantied and disposable.  Their service and
> support sucks.

Well, my experience with Dell hasn't been quite so horrible.  The one
time something did go wrong with my (now two-year-old) laptop they fixed
it rather quickly and painlessly.  Oh, there was also a voluntary recall
of my laptop's motherboard - they sent a dude out who swapped boards on
my dining-room table.

And, also, IME PDAs don't die very frequently.  There aren't a lot of
moving parts in 'em to break.

I was hoping for stories like "Yeah, it worked great for me, the battery
life was a bit short, but it works with Synce when I'm in a WinCE mood
and Opie when I was in a Linux mood" - the technical rather than
support-related.  :-)

(btw, thanks Aaron for the anecdotal evidence they're decent PDAs)

> On the other hand, PDAs are evolving so fast, perhaps they ARE
> disposable.

I would have to disagree here.  My five-year-old PDA still works fine...
it is just getting a bit bulky and is rather feature-lacking.  I did
actually see the same thing for sale the other day.  They're Palm
IIIxe's.

Of course, I'm not sure how backwards-compatible most WinCE software is.
Then again... with 64MB of ROM and 64MB of RAM, it should be able to run
Linux basically forever.

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
   Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net   |    one can never be free.