[PLUG] skipping spamd for unknown users - solved

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed Aug 25 18:19:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 16:41 -0700, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

>    in other words
> Yep.  If that's the way your assumtions run.  I'm a bastard. :)

So... Now that you've torn apart my rhetorical question phrased in a
colloquialism, I'll ask directly: Why not just do the Right Thing and
reject invalid recipients at SMTP-time?  Why even accept messages that
won't be delivered at all?

> Even for the small collection of domains that I manage the dumpme
> address was averaging over 30,000 emails a day.  I suppose it would be
> reasonable to upgrade my dns/web/mail/database/time/whatever server
> from the 300mhz box it's running on.  FWIW I'm processing ~40,000 messages
> daily including the dumpme stuff.  Which is to say 10,000 of actual mail
> in one form or another.  The counts are for the last three months and come
> from pflogsumm.

You'd save yourself 30,000 procmail forks per day if you just didn't
accept the message at all, which means could probably handle another
10,000 or more real messages.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc