[PLUG] Backing up data to DVD

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Aug 25 21:28:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Robert Kopp iconoklastic-at-yahoo.com |PDX Linux| wrote:

> Anyhow, will k3b do this? I have used it to make CD's and I like it.
> There are of course commercial Windows applications for making data
> DVD's, but they are just that--commercial.

K3b is an easy way to do this.  However, be certain to try to read the DVD
after you've written it-- this means to run md5sum over all the files and
check that they match the originals.

I just finished a project to run backups to DVD and was horrified at the
silent failures during writes that only cropped up when I made sure
everything was present.

  -- Steve